Ye olde oddes & endes.
01. Eleni Mandell — I liked everything I heard from Mandell. “Artificial Fire” (the song) has this gorgeous guitar work on it, and though I’m not sure what she means by artificial fire, it’s no weirder than pretty much every New Pornographers song ever. There’s a strong jazz influence on the music, with extra brass, which is awesome. Mandell is apparently a Silver Lake fixture if you know that scene, so hop over to her site and preview some tracks. You can pick up “Artificial Fire” (the album) on Feb. 17.
Eleni Mandell — Artificial Fire
02. The Online Romance — They sent me a very cute song called “Ladybug, Don’t Smile.” Love the lyrics: “Your spotty bright umbrella covers your back / and it seems as though you never heard that luck goes badly.”
They seem to be writing some songs for an upcoming album. Perhaps we will hear more later? This song seems very apropos for a summer mix. *files it away for ladybug season*
The Online Romance — Ladybug, Don’t Smile
03. Jenn Grant — Six-Shooter Records strikes again. I love Jenn Grant, I may have mentioned this before. Yeah. Gorgeous redhead delivers laid-back, harmonious, beautiful tunes, never the same twice. My favorite so far is “(I’ve Got) the Two Of You,” which sounds like the Andrews Sisters. Album entitled “Echoes” came out Feb. 3rd.
Jenn Grant — (I’ve Got) the Two Of You
Jenn Grant — Fireflies
04. Turbowölf — Guys, they have an umlaut in their name. The music is as thick as peanut butter and “Ghost Hunt” has a fantastic moshable beat. It is not my usual cup of tea, dur, but it does take me back to high school (in a good way). I don’t think there’s any kind of new album or anything, just some random promotion and talk of SXSW and whatnot. Haha, I pet them on their Turbo furry heads.
Turbowölf — Ghost Hunt
Turbowölf — Myspace
05. Weinland — They didn’t send me much info so I have no review. However, you too can stream a good new Weinland song at the Portland Mercury site.