Doing this one just for myself. Should you ever find this post, it will be because you were floating in space and needed something to hold on to.
1. Drake, Worst Behavior. I’m majorly obsessed with Drake. My view of this video is influenced by Ta-Nehisi Coates’s book Between the World and Me so I see this as a kick against society, a discriminated person who says, you think I’m bad? I’ll show you bad. “Always hated the boy, but now the boy is the man / motherf***a I done growed up.”
2. Chvrches, Empty Threat. If you’re not listening to Chvrches, you must be dead, and I feel bad for you. I love this video about baby goths going to a waterpark.
3. The Avett Brothers, February Seven. I was reading an interview with Courtney Love and she was like, “I listen to the Avett Brothers, like every woman of my age” (paraphrased, because I don’t know the source). Yes, Courtney. Yes.
4. Valentina Lisitsa, Chopin Waltz in C Sharp Minor, Op 64 No 2. I love watching her work. She makes what must be hours and hours of practice look effortless.
5. Rage Against the Machine, Killing in the Name. This was our unofficial high school theme song and I’m surprised these many years later at how spot-on the ideas of it are.
6. Zella Day, 1965. “Can we go back to the world we had — ?” The cry of all philophers and all the broken-hearted.