This one is kind of Electroqueer-heavy, but that’s just because EQ is so awesome.
01. Video for Matt Alber’s “The End of the World” — this guy, seriously, he can sing. I love this song, I have seen this video a million times. It’s romance with a capital Row.
02. If you have an hour and a half to watch a great film, clap your peepers upon “Sita Sings the Blues,” by Nina Paley. It’s augmented by the beautiful blues of Annette Hanshaw.
03. Via BoingBoing, I am fond of the chipper song “Happy Up Here” by Röyskopp. Space invaders!
04. Not to jump onto the literal video bandwagon, but I like the literal video for “Head Over Heels,” because when you don’t have to concentrate on the song, you notice how dippy the video actually is. I used to love those old-timey videos (heh), which weren’t slick and stupid and full of plasticked-up singers doing ripoffs of Janet Jackson dance sequences.
05. Largehearted Boy has John Darnielle doing “Woke Up New,” with backup singer Tobias Wolff. How cool is that.
06. EQ links to nifty Pet Shop Boys montage, done live at the Brit Awards (scroll past Brandon Flowers to the second video). Lady GaGa does a little cameo too. Oh, Lady G.
07. Via BoingBoing, the totally adorable Nano Song, about … what else … nanos. I still don’t really know what a nano is but that’s cool.
08. Also at BB, Chinese bluegrass. Awe. Some.
09. Stereogum has video for Ladytron’s “Tomorrow.” Brandon’s right, it does look a bit like Parrish, although to my knowledge he never painted flying jellyfish.
10. The Gum also has video for Malajube’s new song (well, it was new as of last month, okay, geez) called “Porté Disparu.” The band all gets murderated. It might be because of their poor sartorial choices.
11. Fabulist! has Amanda Palmer doing “Creep” on a ukelele. That woman can do anything, I swear. If they told me she was playing the tuba with her toes, I’d believe it.
12. EQ showcased Private doing a crazy video for “Killer on the Dancefloor.” I’m a fan of Private’s 80s sound, but I have no idea what any of his videos are about. Paging Killer, paging Killer, please wash your hair, repeat, please wash your hair.
13. There is also video at EQ for Lady GaGa’s “Love Game.” Lady G never fails to amaze with her trashy French-cut bodysuits and her awful lyrics (she got her a** squeezed by sexy Cupid. HAH), but when she belts it out in that voice, she rocks my socks.
14. At BoingBoing, Japanese Saturday Night Fever meets, uh, public breakdancing. It’s Peter, Bjorn, and John’s video for “Nothing To Worry About.”
15. And last but not least, snails slithering in time-lapse to the tune of “Go West.” My 4-year-old son’s favorite word is “snail.” I should probably show him this video, but then of course I would have to watch it a thousand times.